This weekend, I had my first ever experiment withdrawing from social media. It has been two days since I checked a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account – and it feels kind of great! I think all my weekends will be social media free, or at least “social media lite”.
I was super thrilled to discover that it wasn’t quite as difficult as I thought it would be. It gave me a kind of balance that had previously been missing. Here are the 10 best things that happened this weekend as a result of my extra time:
- I got to enjoy a cup of hot tea. I actually had time to make and drink my tea while it was still warm!
- I read five extra books to my son. And he loved it.
- I had the time to shave my legs in the shower. I instead used this time to pretend I was singing to a live audience like a famous musician without abandon. Way more fun.
- I got extra snuggle time in with my hubby.
- I slept better – I know this sounds weird, but I didn’t feel like I was constantly forgetting something, or like I was behind on something.
- I carried my obnoxious singing to the bedroom while I got ready for my day and had a dance party. It. Was. Awesome.
- I found time to meal plan – for more than the next two meals at a time!
- I memorized the words to Llama Llama Red Pajama. Because knowing my son’s favorite bedtime story by heart makes it way easier on me – I can now just show him the pictures while I recite the story from memory. It lets me watch him giggle, which is the highlight for me of his bedtime routine.
- I had extra time to contemplate the realities of a sex life with a child in my home. I will probably write a blog post about it, because the thoughts I had were hilarious. To me. And probably only me.
- I was on time to the gym and got a fulfilling workout routine in without rushing to make sure I was done before the daycare closed. Amazing!